St Joseph’s Catholic School is located in the suburb of Corinda in the western part of Brisbane. It is a multicultural, prep to year 7 coeducational school that focuses on relationships and partnerships within the school, parish, and wider community.
The school has facilities that enrich the cognitive and social skills, physical development, and creativity of their students. Preparatory students participate in a program based on active learning and follows the guidelines approved by the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA).
For the budding musicians, the school offers a Classroom Music Program headed by a qualified music specialist who provides a sequenced and cumulative learning plan. The activities in the program includes music composition, performing, and aural skills. Music education is an integral part of the school curriculum with every student receiving a least one hour of music class per week.
Other school facilities include a resource centre that features multi modal devices and reference materials for all subjects. They also have two tennis courts, an adventure playground for the kids, and a multi-purpose indoor sports complex with a full-size basketball court and indoor soccer court.
The Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart were founded in 1874 in Issodun, France by Fr. Jules Chevalier msc. In 1882, he appointed Mother Marie Louise Hartzer as the first Mother General of the congregation.
In January of the 1885, five daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart journeyed to Australia to put up a school at Botany, at the request of Cardinal Moran. This became one of the first schools and institutions in Australia.
In 1861, the Sisters of Mercy arrived in Brisbane from Dublin, Ireland. Archbishop James Duhig felt the need to expand the parish school system in Australia by adding more institutes of teaching sisters. In 1915, he brought the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart to Brisbane. The following year, he invited the Sisters of the Good Samaritan and the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart.
The Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart arrived at Corinda to establish Saint Joseph’s Primary School in 1917. They opened in January 29, 1917 with 50 students attending the first day. Since then the school has grown in numbers and reputation to become a well-respected educational facility in the South Western suburbs of Brisbane.
JMac Property Services has been cleaning and sanitising the bins at St Joseph’s Corinda for over 14 years now, and have witnessed first-hand the school’s strong growth and development.